Riddling left, right and center.
We've been knocking around the "knowledge" economy, "innovation" economy, "creative" economy, "social" economy, "experience" economy and the "idea" economy. But where do knowledge, innovation, creativity, experiences, socializing and ideas stem from? What action--er, uh, interaction--fuels this fervor?
- It's Share. Yep, it's "The Share Economy". Can't really get smart, creative, social , innovative or otherwise without a whole lotta share. Do wish I could take credit for this gem, but I can't. It was Vaspers who threw it over to me in an e-mail months back and I've been singing it ever since.
This riddle ain't finished yet. Not even close.
So...what's the cost-of-entry to this Share Economy? Money? Nope. Power? Nah. Popularity? Negative. Fame? No way.
- It's Contribution. Whether you contribute: open-source software, smarts, new tools, tech, content, methods or best practices, contribution is your key to the hearts and minds of this medium.
Moving right along, then.
And what's the currency of this new media? Information? Ideas? Lots of links?
- It's Trust (just trust me on this one). Whether you're brand or being, you have to earn trust...in fact you must be worthy of it. Sure, you can have fans, but you can't build meaningful relationships--or respected brands--without first building trust with your audience.
Still with me? Cuz there's more still.
So what do we call the people in this new economy? Consumers? Not. Producers? Not always.
- We're Participants. At least that's the closest one I can find to fit the bill. I liked Ben and Jackie's idea of "Participatory Economy" but Share Economy rang supreme with me, however, insofar as people, "participants" rang right.
Almost there--just not quite.
And what's lies at the core of this era's core value proposition? What, above all else, are we more NOW than we were BEFORE? Smarter? Closer? Richer? Thinner? Yes, yes, probably not and not likely due to sitting on our butts blogging so darn much.
- What we are is Empowered. I've often said it's the Empowerment Era (but in order to not confuse clients or colleagues I'm trying to stick to Share Economy). They say there's a revolution, a disruption, a change...I don't think any of these things happen without new power being given to where/whom it wasn't before.
Done riddling, but not done sharing...matter o' fact, I have a program launching very shortly that's all about share, baby. Can you guess what it is? Here's a hint: the answer is hidden in the riddle (sorta).